Sunday, November 9, 2008

A lace scarf & a vampire movie!



Well, I finally got brave and started a lace project. I checked out "Last Minute Knit Gifts" from the library last week, and there's a nice little pattern called "Airy Scarf " that is a lovely beginner's lace project. I'm using Knit Picks Gloss lace in Mermaid, which so far has been very nice to work with. I made a little progress with the scarf at the KIP I attend, and I expect I'll be finished in a jiffy. The book says it's a 4 hour project...I think that's a good estimate. I think I'll be purchasing the book, there's some great gift knits in it. Speaking of the Knit in Public -- what a great time! There was a really good turn out, and I had so much fun talking with everyone (at least the people within earshot of me, ha!)


This morning I saw one hell of a good vampire movie called "Let the Right One In". It's Swedish, based on the 2004 novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist, which I am relieved to find out has been translated into English because I would like to read it. The story centers around a 12 year old boy who is tormented by bullies and who befriends who he thinks is a 12 year old girl, but who is in fact a vampire. The movie was visually appealing to me, I loved the constant snow and cold weather -- not to mention all of the great scarves and hats everyone was wearing! And it's set in the 80's, when I was a kid, so all the better! The young actor who plays Oskar just captured my heart. I'm quite smitten with the movie. It is all at once sad, awful, hopeful, and haunting. It's a vampire tale that is not the least bit glamorous, quite the opposite, it's achingly human. There's an American version in the works, and I do hope it is as successful at telling the story as the Swedish version, though this movie, at least for me, has set the bar incredibly high. I have my doubts that it can be redone as well as this. I know I'll be thinking about it for a while, it's that good.

1 comment:

Calpurnius said...

Saw your interest in the vampire movie, then went looking for the trailer, then went directly to Netflix for queuing.